Homes near Londonderry Mall had to be evacuated after a gas leak was reported in the area early Thursday morning.
Police blocked off 144 Avenue from 66 Street to 74 Street for a time after a gas line was ruptured by a construction crew at around 2:00 a.m.. The mall and three nearby residences were cleared out.
Edmonton Fire Rescue’s Sarah Meffen said they were closely monitoring gas levels, but the smell of gas was lingering in the area.
“What people will really notice, if they’re in the area, is an odour of gas.”
By 6:45 a.m. crews were getting ready to open the road back up, and people were being allowed back in their homes. (kdr)