The Alberta Government hopes to have at least some of its electronic records back online by Friday morning but most registry services won't be available again until next week.
After a fire at the Shaw Communications headquarters in Calgary, Albertans were unable to access services ranging from registries to requests for high school transcripts.
Gerald Kastendieck with Service Alberta says that you just have to be patient.
"There are services, for instance that the Alberta Works Program, they're able to go into an Alberta Works Centre in person for assistance that way. But things like motor vehicle registration or drivers license renewal, right now that’s not available."
Kastendieck says the province's registry system is stored on analog tapes, which means they need to be physically flown to the Ontario backup.
Here's a list of Alberta government services and websites affected by the disruption:
- A number of websites as well as some systems that process grants and payments to contracted agencies.
- There is no online access to Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan registration services for health professionals or the public. People can register or update information at a registry office, by mail or fax.
- Registry services including: operator licensing, vehicle registration, and fines collections, registration for land titles, registration for survey plans, land title searches, searches on survey plans, survey control marker data and other land-related information are unavailable.
- Student high school transcripts cannot be processed.
- The Alberta Works program (Income Support, Health Benefits) has been impacted; however anyone with an emergency need can come into an Alberta Works Centre for assistance.
- Emergency or medical benefit coverage for AISH clients can be processed through their worker.
- Hunting and fishing license sales and services are unavailable online and at outlets across the province.(ks/dm)
NOTE: This thread is moderated, comments will not post immediately.
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.