Shane Woodford | Email news tips to email@example.com
Abbotsford firefighters knocked down a grass fire at an elementary school over the noon hour.
Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Adams says the cause may be a discarded cigarette butt.
Adams says the fire at Tembrook Elementary was spreading quickly when firefighters showed up.
He says his crews usually see fire activity like this when the weather heats up.
"Oh we have had a few everytime...right around this time of year things get dried out and it just more and more it is just you know bark mulch you know any fence lines where you get some dry brush, blackberries, that sort of thing you have to be cautious and not discard cigarette butts or anything like that."
He says grass may look green but it is still tinder dry and can ignite quickly.