Fire investigators determined that a fire at a duplex in north Edmonton Monday night was caused by a candle burning too close to a curtain.
A spokesperson with Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said crews arrived at the home in the area of 135 Avenue and 119 Street at 10:37 p.m.
Flames and smoke were visible from one side of the duplex when fire crews arrived.
No one was injured in the fire. Three people living in the residence made it out safely.
Crews had the fire under control by 11:10 p.m. and out by 11:57 p.m.
The fire was knocked out “quite quickly,” district chief Dale Rushfeldt said, but the main floor of the home was extensively damaged.
The other half of the duplex was not damaged but power was disconnected to both sides of the home.
“Following an investigation, the cause of the fire was determined to be an open flame (candle) placed too close to a combustible material (curtain) in a bedroom,” EFRS spokesperson Maya Filipovic said in a news release Tuesday.
“Investigators estimate damage to the structure at $200,000 and content loss at $20,000.”
Officials are reminding Edmontonians not to leave burning candles unattended. EFRS said candle fires are one of the leading causes of fires in homes.
—With files from Caley Ramsay and Emily Mertz